5 Things to Enjoy in Laoag City 2022.
They call this place as the Sunshine City of Laoag which derived from the english word “light” because this city is located in the province of Ilocos Norte which is the sunniest and windiest part of the Philippines.
Experience different kinds of outdoor activities like sand boarding, 4×4 extreme ride, swim at the beach and watch the beautiful sunset.
So here are the 5 Things to Enjoy in Laoag City 2022 while exploring Laoag City:
Table of Contents
1. The City Center
Laoag city center is not that big you can just walk around exploring things like a normal citizen of this place, I have listed some of the things you might want to visit,
- Taoid Museum – its located at the right side of the Capitol of Ilocos Norte.
- Sinking Bell Tower – just a few steps away from the Capitol.
- St. William Cathedral – just a few steps beside the Sinking Bell Tower.
- Aurora Park – Its just infront of the Capitol.
2. La Paz Sand Dunes
An 85 square kilometer coastal protected dessert that offers extreme recreational experience which is the 4×4 hill ride and sand boarding, but if you don’t like these things you can just take some selfies or capture this natural beauty.
Its just 10 minutes drive from the city proper and if you are a backpacker you can just hire a trycicle the fare is P80 – P100.
3. Local Delicacies
Have you heard the Empanada which is the most popular street food of Ilocos, you can find stalls selling it across the city, but aside from the famous Empanada there are some foods that needs some recognitions that you definitely want to try, I have listed some and where to find it.
- Miki – an Ilocano noodle soup with chicken stock and Annato powder (Atsuete) usually topped with boiled egg
- Where to find: One that stood out is this place Seachelles Pagmeryendaan
- Tupig – is made out of rice flour and coconut milk wrapped in banana leaves then cooked over uling or charcoal.
- Chicharon Cornick – corn kernels that are deep fried to to make it crispy and crunchy comes with different flavors of garlic, cheese, barbeque and adobo.
- Where to find it: Usually the vendors are located in Chendaan (Public market)
4. Local Restaurants
While exploring the city you might want to satisfy your Ilocano cravings. Unfortunately some of the biggest restaurant are already closed but no worries there are few that are still operating and top rated.
- Dawangs – A local favorite, a karinderya type restaurant that serves Ilocano cuisines. Their trademark dish is the paksiw which is a beef soup.
- Where to find it: #8 Paterno street, brgy.23 2900 Laoag City, Philippines or you might want to visit their facebook page Dawang’s Eatery sa Laoag.
- Cuisine de Iloco – Top rated and tourist favorite fine dining restaurant in Laoag City. Their trademark dishes are their Banget menus which consist of Sisig, Kare-kare, sinigang and Dinuguan.
- Where to find it: Hernando Avenue, Brgy 7-a, Laoag City, Philippines or you may visit their facebook page Cuisine de Iloco.
5. Swim at the Beach
Refreshen your body and swim in the beach of Calayab, Laoag City its just 15-20 minutes drive from the city proper, you can also enjoy the sightseeing view of Fort Ilocandia Resort that is declared as a 5 star hotel in the north before.
If you have plenty of time you might want to consider watching the sunset here because it’s mesmerizing.